Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Lone Surfer of Montana, Kansas

This blog has been a little food-heavy, so here's what I've been reading.

I bought this book on a whim because it was cheap on BetterWorldBooks.com. I was happy to discover that Davy Rothbart snagged cover blurbs from Charles Baxter, Judy Blume, Ira Glass and Arthur Miller! I put those in the order of importance for me, but I think most people would probably reverse them. This is a breezy, fun read; it was a good post-Snow Angels pick, since Snow Angels made me feel a bone-deep despair that hung around for days. I knew I liked this book when one of the stories started with this sentence:
"We were on State Road 400 zooming across yellow Kansas and Sally and I were sore at each other."
Those sorts of sentences are like the fried eggs of writing, i.e. simple, unadorned gems that I will always happily devour. I'm reading about 5 books right now, as is my usual (annoying) habit, so basically I am never going to finish anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment