Monday, January 17, 2011

The Second Book I Read on My Kindle

I don't know why it took me so long to read Never Let Me Go. Don't make the same mistake I did. This book will break your heart. Just looking at this poster for the movie (out on DVD soon!) makes me want to cry.

Do you like reading about complicated girl friendships? How about boarding schools? Or maybe adolescent relationships? Those are all of my favorite topics, and they are all here, along with some SCIENCE FICTION. That's right, I read science fiction. Okay, that's a lie. Actually I read science fiction in only three circumstances:
1. My boyfriend recommends something.
2. Book club pick.
3. It's not really science fiction.
While there are definitely science fiction elements to this book (in case you don't know anything at all about it, I will refrain from ruining anything for you. The less you know, the better the book will be), and while the plot hinges around a particularly ominous vision of a world not so different from our own, this book is much more about personal relationships. I should warn you that at first this book doesn't seem so sad. Just watch out! At the end, I felt like the emotional force of the book had snuck up behind me and clubbed me on the head.
It also must be noted that Carey Mulligan plays the lead in the film. Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment